Please complete the form below to access the complete report and in-depth interview transcripts.
Watch or listen to a Sparring Partners videocast in which Sean Kinney, RCR Wireless, Chris Nicoll, Nicoll Associates, and Monica Paolini, Senza Fili debated about Open RAN. Opening the RAN to multiple vendors, virtualized hardware, open fronthaul interfaces under a common open source approach as operators move to 5G is a compelling story. But will it happen? Or is it too good to be true?
In our discussion we addressed your questions and try to answer these questions:
- What does it mean to ‘open the RAN’? How is O-RAN different from OpenRAN, virtual RAN, cloud RAN?
- What works and what doesn’t in an open RAN deployment?
- Why should we open the RAN? Why should we not open the RAN?
- Where will open RAN be most successful? Which parts of the wireless footprint, which countries, which operators?
- When will we see widespread open RAN deployment?
- Who will benefit the most from open RAN? Vendors, operators, subscribers, enterprises?
Sparring Partners are videocasts in which we debate a topic and address questions and comments from our audience. Follow us on Twitter with #SparringPartners.