Please complete the form below to access the complete report and in-depth interview transcripts.
Watch or listen to a Sparring Partners videocast in which Sean Kinney, RCR Wireless, Chris Nicoll, Nicoll Associates, and Monica Paolini, Senza Fili debated about O-RAN. Opening the RAN to multiple vendors, virtualized hardware, open fronthaul interfaces under a common open source approach as operators move to 5G is a compelling story. But will it happen? Or is it too good to be true?
In our discussion we addressed your questions and try to answer these questions:
- What does it mean to ‘open the RAN’? How is O-RAN different from OpenRAN, virtual RAN, cloud RAN?
- What works and what doesn’t in an open RAN deployment?
- Why should we open the RAN? Why should we not open the RAN?
- Where will open RAN be most successful? Which parts of the wireless footprint, which countries, which operators?
- When will we see widespread open RAN deployment?
- Who will benefit the most from open RAN? Vendors, operators, subscribers, enterprises?
Sparring Partners are videocasts in which we debate a topic and address questions and comments from our audience. Follow us on Twitter with #SparringPartners.